Sunday, February 20, 2011

Me as a consumer of information

My Influences Throughout Life

During my childhood years, I was mostly influenced by television. I was exposed to cartoons like The Looney Tunes, Sesame Street, The Simpsons and the X-men. Disney movies also had an influence on me as well. I was also an often listener of the radio and listened to songs from Tupac, Shaggy and the Backstreet Boys. On the outdoor scene, I spent most of the time at the playground with my neighbourhood friends. I even played sports like football, badminton and baseball. At the same time, I was sent to tuition 3 times a week where i mostly learned how to study and read.

As i grew, my interests grew as well. I would play football almost everyday; more often than before. My interests in music started to change as i listened to more rebellious music like Nirvana, Metallica and Limp Bizkit. I also started reading books and short stories. Through televison, I started watching more 'read between the lines' shows like South Park. However, once in a while i would still flip through the cartoon channels. I was also introduced to the internet at the time though i barely used it.

When i finished school, I started to experience the working life by working part-time at Pizza Hut as a waiter and at Golf Malaysia as an office boy; both for a duration of 4 months. During that period, i studied at British Council on a part-time basis and learned English at a different level with the teacher teaching in a method which i truly respected and enjoyed. Most of the time, she would ask the class to talk to each other and ask each other questions. To me this method is the best way to learn language. At the same time, my interests started to change. I scarcely watched television anymore and used the internet more often for it had more to offer. I would love to go back there in the future to broaden my knowledge in the English language.

After that period of time, I had grew an ambition to become a writer. My taste in music started to change and broaden at the same time. I started listening to more political and life meaning songs. Just to name a few, i would listen to Classics such as Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, and modern songs such as Radiohead, Placebo, Muse and Incubus. I also started to read books more often than usual and fate brought me to 2 books that changed the way i perceive the world. The books were '1984' by George Orwell and 'Writing Poetry from the inside out' by Sanford Lyne. I started to discover truths from lies and notice my surroundings more by reading the news, and the history of this world. Whether it is through an article from the newspaper, a magazine or the internet, or novels, poetry, quotes and lyrics of a song; i never stopped reading.

Now here I am at IACT College, expanding my knowledge and learning something new everyday. Whether it is good or bad, truth or lie, it does not matter for i once read the Spanish poet, Federico Garcia Lorca saying that writing poetry is like "hunting a tiger without a rifle". I hope that one day I will become the writer I see in my dreams for "what the self describes, describes the self".

No comments:

Post a Comment